Sunday, November 20, 2011

Another Tetra Spawn

I am happy to report that my 40-gal planted tank has new black neon fry! This is really amazing to me, on the heels of the ember tetra spawn. It is my experience that spawning tetras requires specific conditions and dedicated setups, but here they are.

I also have a couple of new additions to this tank, a pair of electric blue rams. They were given to me by a fellow hobbyist in Virginia Beach (thank you, Justin!) and have settled in very well in this heavily planted tank. There is a Bolivian ram (wild) in this tank as well, which looks absolutely beefy and monstrous next to the wee blue rams, as well as a wild leopoldi angel, with the ember tetras, black neons, het rasboras and a couple of cardinals. This setup is quite well established and is one of only two tanks I have that have remained as is for years, without getting bored with it and redoing it (or killing off all inhabitants....) so I think this goes a long way to making the environment hospitable for a tetra spawn. It's hit the "sweet spot," so to speak, and I'm just delighted. If the population of tetras can raise one or two of the fry to adulthood on any kind of regular basis I can maintain the colony for a good while.

No comments:

Post a Comment