Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Tapajos are Here!

My shipment of Geophagus sp. Orange Head "Tapajos" have arrived, and they are marvelous specimens. I ordered 20, but our best count keeps coming up 26, so that's quite a few extra!


Initially they were cold, and I was concerned for an hour or two but once I got the temperature up to 82 they perked right up, and have been right as rain ever since. They are always ravenous, and seem happy.


Once they get some size I'll definitely need to remove at least 16, since I think 10 individuals will be plenty for this tank, but we'll wait and see. They're already showing a hint of the red coloration they'll have as adults, and are literally all over the tank exploring. I look forward to moving my leopoldi angel into this tank, and finding more wild or wild type angels, and am considering catfish, maybe panaque types, but not if I hope to raise a spawn, so that decision will come later. I may stick to only cichlids, and keep the geos for the bottom and angels for the top. I' may also move my Bolivian ram down into this tank as well to give the blue rams a little peace in the 40-gallon.


Right now the geophagus are settling in and I don't want to disturb the tank at this point, but will watch as they grow and the tank matures a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment