Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Two-inch Tank Buster


Otis, the figure-8 puffer, is 2 inches of cuteness, and is busting out of his 10-gallon aquarium. The bioload of these guys is tremendous, and the little HOB (Penguin 125) is woefully inadequate to handle it. I need to do 50-75% PWCs every other day, and could stand to do them every day. The filter clogs frequently, and it is obviously not moving enough water.

I don't want to put him in a bigger tank because this tank is the perfect size for the location (my desk) and I do feel that it is enough space for his needs at this size. I realize that when he grows bigger we will need to move up (a 20-gallon tall would be perfect) but for now I'd like to make things work as they are.

I want to increase filtration and am researching my options. I think an AC 30 might do the trick (too big and bulky? need to go look at one), since it has a lot more media capacity and moves more water. I am also considering an extremely small canister filter, if I can find one. I need to get this done soon, though, because in spite of the frequent water changes the tank always looks (and is) cruddy. Amazing what a single fish can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment