Thursday, October 15, 2009

When Too Much is Not Too Much

Could an Aqua Clear 30 and an Eheim Ecco 2232 be overkill for a 10-gallon aquarium? Sounds like it, but it does not appear to be the case.

I do not intend to keep the AC on the tank, but for now as I grow brackish bacteria in the Ecco I want both filters running. Puffers are sensitive to water quality problems and I don't want to take chances. Are the plants blowing all over? Is the puffer being buffeted about? Nope. Otis actually appears quite perked up by the additional water movement, and the tank is definitely cleaner.

The rocks no longer have the fuzzy accumulation after I began using a toothbrush and in small areas at a time, scrubbing off the fuzz and silt (this stuff is still a mystery to me). Over time I have cleaned all the rocks, but whereas the debris used to fall to the bottom and I'd have to siphon it out, now the offending stuff is carried off to one of the filters. Love that.

In an effort to provide the angel pair more room to swim I pulled a large piece of wisteria out of the 40-gallon breeding tank, and since it was covered in wee tiny snails (the 40-gallon is my snail farm for Otis) I just chucked the whole plant into his tank and let him go to work on the floating snail barge. He is an active hunter type, so this was supremely enjoyable for him, if a puffer can be joyful. He seems to be smiling all the time....

I left the plant in place, hoping it will survive, and now I put his snails on the plant itself for him to find. This keeps him busy, which is good for a figure-8 puffer.

Meanwhile, I put the Emperor 400 on the 40-gallon in conjunction with the Eheim Classic canister, but the Emperor is just too noisy. I ordered a replacement impeller assembly for cheap and we will see if that helps. In fact, the Eheim ought to be plenty of filtration for this tank with just two fish in it, albeit relatively large fish. It is hard for me not to overfilter my tanks. Did you notice?

No comments:

Post a Comment