Saturday, August 25, 2012

All right, all right, I'll build it MYSELF!

I have an area of my living room that needs an aquarium. I have a 50" TV on one side of a very large stone fireplace, and another space on the other side of the fireplace that begs to be filled. Right now I have shelving on the wall and the very large dog bed on the floor for my Great Dane and Bullmastiff. 

When I got my 150-gallon aquarium (if you read way back in my posts I'm sure I mention this issue) I had planned on putting it next to the fireplace, but that is a 5' tank and the space between the wall and the hearth is about 58.5". Doh! I found another place for it in the next room, no biggie, but I have ever since wanted a tank for that spot, and not a small tank. 


I'm looking for a 4' 150-gallon, or something similar that can fit in that spot. I've seen a few of these on Craigslist but they want way more than I can spend for them. Considering I paid $300 for my 150-gallon, including a very solid stand and matching hinged hood, I am expecting a real steal for my next big tank.


My husband and I are talking now about building the tank ourselves. There are some issues, of course, and one is the material we'll use. Glass is easy to maintain but a tank that size will be pushing 400 pounds empty. My current 150 is a beast to move so acrylic has appeal. However, acrylic scratches, and I'm assuming I'll be wiping the algae off it (I always have a little bit in my tanks) on the inside. 


One of the members of my club, Central Virginia Aquarium Society, is trying to get started in the acrylic tank building business, and I'm going to join forces, I think, and see if we can get a custom tank built for me. It is really going to depend on cost, for sure, but I'm determined to make this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment