Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ants Can Swim

I added a large piece of driftwood to the 37-gallon that was sitting out on a table on the deck for 6 months, since it was the floating kind and I could not get it wedged properly in the 150. I rinsed it off with the hose and took it inside, then rinsed it under the tub faucet to be sure, then put it in. It wedges quite well underneath the lip of the trim, holding it submerged to the bottom.

What's this? Ants? Yikes. The ants came pouring out of it, or so it seemed. I had no idea there were ants in there. I detected none in the tub when I rinsed it there. Well, ants have a remarkable swimming ability, and they have been making their way to the edge throughout the day. Many are dead, but I am standing guard and squishing all that I see. I am jacking up the temperature of the water and I added some Flourish Excel, since that is somewhat toxic to critters at high enough doses. We'll see if that takes care of it. I don't want to add salt or something because I don't want to have to then remove the salt later, but this might work.

Due to the quantity of dead ants in the water column, I added a Penguin 330 to the Eheim canister filter already running, so I could really move some water. My motto is, "when in doubt, overfilter!"

1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE (and I hope - incidently that you can see older comments to posts via email) that you have the motto: "when in doubt, overfilter!" I left a comment on another post, telling you about my aquarium questions, but I wanted to let you know what I'm doing with it. Perhaps you have email listed here and that'd be easier?

    ReplyDelete