Monday, July 13, 2009

Babies and More Babies

So far, Frank & Agnes have a nice sized brood. For the third day I am impressed with how many appear viable. I am feeding them every few hours and they seem to be eating the Hikari Fist Bites powdered food. I am not having much luck with hatching out BBS, but I did get some to hatch, and fed them today. It was hard to tell which were eggs and which were BBS, but that's the best I can do for now. I will receive some fresh eggs in the mail at the end of the week, though that is too long for this batch if that's all they'll eat. I can't find fresh eggs locally, for some reason.

I will do a PWC tonight for that tank and for Otis the Figure-8 puffer's tank as well, since he needs more frequent changes with his meaty diet. I get a lot of pleasure having him beside me while I work all day! He knows where his food comes from, too, and is most often curiously watching me do my work, hoping I'll pop in some snails or worms of some kind.

I did a 50% PWC on the 150-gallon yesterday, and discovered, to my dismay that I am out of CO2, again, much too soon. I have to have some sort of leak and am going to need to get the regulator serviced, plus install new tubing to rule that out as the problem. Very pesky. I am not comfortable having this tank at 7.6 pH, and I am sure the P. leopoldi don't much care for it either. I need to get that issue resolved. I ought to be able to go 3 months on a single 5# tank. I also need a second 5# tank so when I run out I have a second one there to swap out while I get the first one filled (or Rick gets it filled for me!). There is not much that I do not do for myself, but that is something I like to get him to take care of for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment