Thursday, July 23, 2009

Time (Not) on My Side

Well, it appears that if these babies continue to grow as they have, in two weeks I'm going to need to split up the batch of them, but that might work out okay. I think that will be enough time in quarantine for the festivum. They will be small still, but there is plenty of cover for them in the 150 and I think they will do okay. These are cichlids, closely related to angels, so it might be different with them, but currently the leopoldi have eyes only for each other, and essentially ignore all of the other species in the tank.

I am not happy with the flow from the giant canister filter that is the Fluval XF5. I will probably clean it again, having done so a few weeks ago, but when I turn off the powerhead the water almost appears stagnant, though I know it is not so. You can feel decent pressure from the outflow. It may be that there is too much obstruction from plants and such, though I placed the intake at the center of and behind an archway of driftwood, so it is in deep shadow and not really visible but is not physically obstructed. I will look into it. I have my Rena Filstar XP4 (a wee tiny and adorable box next to the monster Fluval) that has grit (sand) in the pump housing, I believe, from when I used it on the new 150 setup. It works but is VERY noisy. I need to investigate cleaning that out and maybe using that for additional water flow and to house almond leaves or peat or something.

In my spare time....

No comments:

Post a Comment