Sunday, July 26, 2009

What's That Sound?

Thank goodness my husband had a grueling flight out to Portland, Oregon, filled with many hours of delays, his plane sitting on the tarmac for a ridiculously long time, and an arrival in Oregon at 3:15 a.m. EST.

Why would I be glad of such a nightmare travel experience? Well, he gave me a call at that wee hour of the morning to let me know he had finally arrived, and literally 5 minutes after I got off the phone with him, drifting back to sleep, I suddenly heard the sound that no fishkeeper ever wants to hear - the sound of a garden hose full blast on the floor - in my office???

Rush out of bed, tear into the office and hit the power switch on the surge protector strip and shut the valves to the canister filter that was draining my 37-gallon tank contents onto the floor - this was done in record time.

The outflow hose had somehow come loose from the suction cup connection to the top back of the tank. If I had not already been awake I don't know that I would have heard the sound of the water at that hour of the night. It was serendipitous, to be sure, though I doubt my husband would agree that his horrible experience was for the good.

I pulled out the contents of the tank stand and mop up the mess (too close to the wall to try to get the Shop Vac back there) and leave the stand doors open with a massive floor fan running on it. I reconnected the filter outflow in a more secure fashion (I hope!) and got things up and running. Took me a bit to get back to sleep after that, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment