Thursday, July 9, 2009

Planiloricaria cryptodon Antics

"Antics" may not be the best word for it, but something is up with this fish. He resides in my 150-gallon planted setup, with soft sand, good current and acidic conditions, along with blackwater extract in small doses. He has been very happy for 3 months.

As previously mentioned, one day I found him on the floor, having zoomed up and out for a 5-foot drop onto the rug in front of the tank. I had no idea I could not leave the lid up on this tank! Now he seems very easily spooked, and today when I went to feed him he spooked and zoomed over to the opposite end of the tank, and ZIP, he went right straight up the side of the tank. I quickly put the lid down and he did not get out, but now I can see how he launches himself. He has such a stiff body that has a very low profile, so he can really get some speed through water, and when he encounters the glass he just slips right up to the top of the tank.

He has not been, up to now, a fish that would spook at all, and I hand-feed him (well, forceps - my arms are not that long!) twice a day the pellets that he likes. He would sit calmly and wait for me to give him his pellet, but now he seems on edge. I do not see any harassment by any of the other fish, though the P. leopoldi would be suspects, as would the Ancistrus, since they've taken an interest in The Whip since I introduced him.

I will have to watch him carefully. There is woefully little practical information on the web (that I have been able to find) about keeping these interesting fish, so we'll have to see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment